Pet Vaccinations in Huntsville, AL
Keeping your pet healthy is a must for every pet parent, and vaccines play an important role in preventing many diseases. Here is an overview of pet vaccinations, specific vaccines your dog or cat may need, and how pet vaccinations fit into a well-rounded pet health routine!
What Are the Main (Core) Vaccines for Dogs and Cats?
These vaccines are the most essential in preventing the most serious diseases that are likely to have the biggest impacts on both pets and humans. Many of these vaccines are required in most areas. They are highly recommended unless your pet has a particular health condition that makes them a poor candidate for vaccination.
- Rabies: A virus that causes neurologic changes, is fatal, and can be spread to humans. Legally required in the State of Alabama.
- Canine Distemper: A disease that affects a dog’s respiratory, gastrointestinal, and nervous systems.
- Adenovirus: A herpesvirus in DNA that causes respiratory, hepatic, and ocular problems.
- Parvovirus: An often deadly disease that causes vomiting, severe diarrhea, and similar symptoms in dogs.
- Leptospirosis: Disease that causes a high fever, vomiting, bleeding, and a wide range of other potential symptoms. Leptospirosis can be spread to humans.
- Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis: feline herpesvirus that can cause severe upper airway and ocular disease
- Feline Panleukopenia: a feline virus characterized by depression, anorexia, high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and consequent severe dehydration.
What Are Non-Core Vaccines for Cats and Dogs?
These vaccines may be helpful for pets in certain environments or that are particularly susceptible to certain conditions:
- Bordetella: A bacteria that causes a severe cough.
- Parainfluenza: A severe respiratory virus
- Lyme Disease: Caused by ticks that lead to a wide range of symptoms.
- Canine Influenza: a severe and exceptionally infectious viral respiratory pathogen
- Feline Leukemia: Caused by a virus that can cause bone marrow suppression and cancer in cats.
What Are the Benefits of Pet Vaccines?
Pet vaccines come with many benefits for you and your pet. Here are some of the most helpful things to consider when determining which vaccines you want your pet to receive.
Prevention of Infectious Diseases
Vaccines protect your pet from developing many infectious diseases. Many of these diseases are difficult to treat and can be deadly if left untreated, so keeping them from developing in the first place is much safer and easier on your pet than attempting to deal with them after the fact.
Protection for Pets and Humans
Some pet diseases can transfer to humans and other pets, which means that vaccines are key to keeping them out of your home. This can be especially true if you have young pets that cannot yet receive certain vaccines, other pets that generally get few to no vaccines or young children.
Cost-Effective Compared to Treatments
Many of the most life-threatening diseases your pet may be exposed to are preventable through vaccinations, a much more cost-effective alternative to the typical price of treating these illnesses. Many treatments can run well into the thousands of dollars, while most vaccines are under $30 each. Most owners of puppies spend around $170 on vaccines at the first visit and less in future years. Depending on your pet’s specific needs, this may range from approximately $100-$250 per year.
What Other Preventive Care Services Are Offered at South Huntsville Veterinary Hospital?
At South Huntsville Veterinary Hospital, we provide the regular preventative care visits your pet needs to give you the best possible understanding of their specific needs and the steps you can take to keep them as healthy as possible. We are a fully functioning veterinary hospital capable of treating your pet for various maladies in different life stages.
Choose South Huntsville Veterinary Hospital for Quality Pet Shots in Huntsville, AL
At South Huntsville Veterinary Hospital, understanding what vaccines or other preventive care steps are essential to your pet’s health is not always easy. Our friendly and caring team is here to help you understand local guidelines and which vaccines are the most important for your pet’s lifestyle and health needs. Contact us today to learn more about what makes us a favorite among pet owners in the Huntsville, AL area or to schedule an appointment!